At Seeds of Hope. The goal is to equip refugees kids to assimilate into American life. These kids need to see that there is a life outside their community; A life where there are opportunities to break the cycle of poverty, relying upon the government and where they can become self sufficient, productive citizens. These kids need relationships and mentors to guide them as they learn the skills to navigate life in the United States. How do we do that?
That’s what Seeds of Hope is for. We want to "plant seeds" of vision and opportunity in these kids that will help direct and empower them for their future, and at the same time, show them the love of Christ.
Ideas planned for this Summer
(and how you can help!)
Elementary kids and most Junior high get out of school on July 21st. High School gets out on June 14th.
Donations towards any of these events. Total or partial donations welcome. Or any assistance any any of the other areas welcome and so appreciated.
- Forest Home with Venture church - 4 junior high kids (July 2-7) Scholarships $600 per child. Drivers also needed from San Diego to Encinitas for drop off for camp and back to San Diego after camp.
- Pool Day in North County 6-8. Or Invite individually 2 times per month. Someone to Host in their home, drivers, food.
- Someone to teach an etiquette class, and someone to host. – Let’s practice communication and etiquette - Drivers, adults to come along side and help. Host an etiquette class in your home, food, donations.
- Vacation Bible School at Horizon RSF - July 24 - 28 Sponsorship needed for 4-6 kids Drivers to and from VBS, Scholarships. $60 per child.
- Hume Lake with Horizon RSF 4 kids (July 2-8) Drivers to Horizon and back to San Diego, scholarships. $650 per child
- FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Athletic Camp at UCLA - $600 per child
- Help network and find an internship for 2 kids - Drivers, and connections
- Help network and find a summer job for 4 kids. - Drivers and connections.
- Bus Pass for 4 kids and help them figure out how to do it. (So they can get a job) Scholarships for bus passes and adults to go along for the ride to teach them how. $40 for a bus pass for one month.
- 4th of July – Fireworks - Anyone want to host a few kids. They don't get to see fireworks in City Heights. Help them celebrate America!
- Odd Jobs to earn money for camp (mowing the lawn, organizing, cleaning etc. they will need help to learn these basic skills. Patience required, LOL) We need to teach these kids that have to earn money.
- Spirit West Coast – Christian concerts - Saturday, June 17th. need drivers to take them to the San Diego County Fair and take them back to City Heights.
- Driving kids around to show them there are different areas in San Diego and people live differently. Maybe your home and neighborhood. Drivers and money for lunch
- Educational /sports camps - Ideas, connections, Drivers and scholarships
- Subsidized Internships - Ideas, connections, Drivers and scholarships
- Community Service – Give back - Drivers and Suggestions
- Professional Day - I want to hold a professional day to give these kids ideas of what type of employment is out there. Share your story.
- Hanging out with these kids and getting to know them. A big heart, a heart for the Lord and patience.
- Mentor those that are preparing for college ( SAT/ACT prep, college applications etc)
- Workshops for practicing basic skills, hygiene, dress for success, eye contact, job interview skills. Help teach these kids these skills. June 19th.
- Young Life camp July 23rd - July 28th. Scholarships and drivers to and from San Diego needed.
- Mentors/Friends always needed.